Archive for Featured Retailers
For shop owners who attended the annual Las Vegas Industry Summit, it was clear that Upper Deck was there to help them grow their business. Our corporate room was set up to show off all the different ways we could help retailers to better merchandise their shops, engage their customers and develop new collectors. Check out this behind the scenes look!
The Upper Deck Co-Op Corner was there to showcase all the things that owners could be doing in their shop, primarily by working through their Authorized Distributor, to better their store. We are excited for the opportunity to work with shops to bring a variety of tools like we showcased here to their customers.
Our corporate area also offered attendees a nice place to relax and have some fun. Upper Deck hosted a viewing party on Selection Sunday and handed out packs of the company’s new March Madness Basketball product.
Upper Deck also conducted the company’s popular Expired Redemption Raffle at the show and fans who scored cards should be receiving them in the coming weeks!
The big moments came during Upper Deck’s Corporate Address where close to 200 Certified Diamond Dealers packed into the large conference room for staff to run through new products and programs for 2015 and beyond. There Mike Phillips (Vice President of Sales) and Jason Masherah (President of Upper Deck) were able to discuss UD’s long-term renewal with Michael Jordan. They shared that products like 2014-15 SP Authentic Basketball will be the last trading cards releases hoop fans will see with autograph content of MJ and LeBron for some time to give the market time to correct on the value of signed cards for two stars. Upper Deck is very serious about making sure autographs of these athletes are not oversaturated in the market.
And then UD shared a tribute to a former attendee when we presented the Steve James Award to Kenny Der from Imperial Garden Sports Collectibles for his great work in engaging new fans and growing the category for fans that visit his shop.
Then the fun came in as Upper Deck gave these shop owners a fun preview of 2014-15 NHL® Fleer Showcase where they could also score some great prizes for their shops like these Upper Deck Authenticated Wayne Gretzky signed blow-ups!
The best giveaway from a shop owner’s perspective are the annual Upper Deck Industry Summit black boxes which yield 1-2 limited-edition autograph cards produced for this show! Most shops bring these back to use as prizes in their shops, but collectors can sometimes find these cards available on online auctions sites as some owners will use them to help offset the expense of attending the show!
Another memorable moment was the NHL®, NHLPA and Upper Deck co-sponsored lunch. Shops got to learn about the great rookies this season like Johhny Gaudreau, Jonathan Drouin, Aaron Ekblad and more while also hearing about the exciting opportunities that exist next year for the highly touted prospect, Connor McDavid.
The company closed out the show appearing on a panel with other manufacturers where key issues were identified so companies could work to improve them. In particular, kids-focused marketing initiatives were something retailers wanted to see more done around and Upper Deck plans to continue our industry-leading programs on that like continuing National Hockey Card Day, sampling at key events, distributing Upper Deck Educates teacher kits, supporting charities like Cards2Kids and continuing the popular Heroic Inspirations campaign which helps support kid-focused charities.
And since this event is all about making the hobby better, we want to hear from you. Give us your one great idea to improve trading cards for future generations that we can put into place in the comment section below. We will hook one of you up with an Upper Deck Random Acts of Kindness that includes one of these limited Upper Deck Industry Summit black boxes for FREE!
The San Jose Sharks will host the Los Angeles Kings at Levi Stadium this Saturday night for the latest Stadium Series game in the NHL®. Before that, Upper Deck would like to invite fans to celebrate the game of hockey on National Hockey Card Day at Stevens Creek Sports Cards! Upper Deck staff will be on-site to host another Silver Celebration Party as we continue to celebrate 25 year of Upper Deck licensed NHL® and NHLPA trading cards.
Fans are encouraged to attend as there will be FREE pack wars and a raffle based on purchases where you could score insert cards, autograph cards, sealed product, signed memorabilia and two tickets to the NHL® Stadium Series Game!
The event will take place Saturday, February 21 from 10:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. at the location below:
Stevens Creek Sports Cards
3220 Stevens Creek Boulevard
San Jose, CA
Store Manager: Kevin KJ944cards@aol.com
We look forward to having a memorable day with fans to thank them for 25 amazing years of collecting the best! Don’t miss it!
Many youngsters dream of growing up to be a professional sports star, but for 99.999% of us, our dreams do not come true. There are options however to still be around the sports you love and one of those is to open up a trading card shop.
This year Upper Deck asked trading card shop owners to put together a business plan for how they would make National Hockey Card Day a memorable event in their store (as if free NHL® packs to customers were not enough) to share the hobby with as many potential collectors as possible and we were very impressed with the responses we received. For their efforts they earned some awesome promotional items to share with their fans!
Check out twenty of our favorite unique activities some of our Certified Diamond Dealers have planned for this annual celebration of hockey card love coming February 14, 2015 in Canada and February 21, 2015 in the U.S.A. This is your one chance of the year to get a FREE NHL® pack courtesy of Upper Deck and our partner shops!
- Grow the Hobby: For every non-customer/collector you bring in you will score a raffle ticket for a grand prize item and the non-customers will get two free National Hockey Card Day packs.
- Rise & Shine: The first 5 customers to arrive will receive 20% off select Upper Deck Hockey products.
- Get in the Spirit: Fans wearing team gear will get an extra NHCD pack and raffle ticket for a cool prize.
- Spelling Bee: Shop will run a spelling contest throughout the day for hockey player names to win prizes.
- Embracing the Future: Shop will give away prize bags to kids under 13 to encourage them to become collectors.
- Pack Bingo: One shop created custom bingo cards with slots for actual Upper Deck cards. Cards pulled from packs can be used to fill in those spots. Spot examples are player names and inserts like a 2-color-jersey card, regular memorabilia card, Young Guns Rookie, Canvas card, Autograph card, etc. The first customers to pull all those cards in a row wins!
- Spin & Win: Spend $20 in Upper Deck Hockey purchases and spin the prize wheel to win UD packs!
- Balloon Pop: For every $25 you spend in Upper Deck Hockey cards you can pop a balloon in the shop. Inside the balloon is a prize. There are several high-end prizes up for grabs and over 100 balloons!
- Kids Art Contest: Kids draw their own trading cards on decoys and submit them for prizes on National Hockey Card Day. Every kid gets two NHCD packs for participating and can earn more prizes!
- Focus on Family: Have promotions and giveaways catered to entire families that visit. Families that collect together, stay together!
- Feel the Love: Valentine’s Day Promotion (in Canada) where every girl who comes in will get a Hershey’s Kiss and one will receive a bouquet of flowers.
- Random Acts of Kindness: Shop will put together hand written letters thanking their best customers for their support and include some goodies selected just for them. The only way they could potentially get them however is if they walk in the door on National Hockey Card Day. They are selecting 25 customers randomly to receive these goodies in appreciation of UD’s 25th Anniversary of NHL® cards.
- Collector Show & Tell: Seasoned collectors bring in their best cards to share the fun of collecting with new fans. Different collectors show at different times of the day and the schedule is shared through the shop.
- Free Appraisals: An expert staff member will be on site to provide appraisals on your hockey cards and the best way to sell, trade or donate them.
- Bid & Win: Bid board event run on National Hockey Card Day with only Upper Deck Hockey cards!
- Raffles and Drawings: A variety of these will be held throughout the day for hockey tickets, gear, collectibles and more every hour!
- Getting the Word Out: Promote the event in person at local arenas, schools, churches, Boy Scout groups, sports bars and more!
- Meet Your Heroes: Shops are bringing in autograph signers for the event from local teams!
- Pack Wars: Stores will run free pack war events throughout the day with awesome prizes for fans.
- Case Breaks: Shops will run specials on case purchases and have breaks throughout the day where collectors can get in for low prices.
With all these activities, you’ll want to make sure you are checking in with all the different participating shops in your area. Find a full list of participating National Hockey Card Day shops here! And if you don’t have a shop near you, remember to check out our participating Authorized Internet Retailers!
If you are an Upper Deck Certified Diamond Dealer taking place in National Hockey Card Day, share some of the promotions you will be running in the comment section below!
To celebrate 25 years of licensed NHL® and NHLPA hockey cards, Upper Deck is hitting the road to personally thank the shops and customers who have kept the company going strong for all these years. After running three Silver Celebration parties in the United States and Canada, Upper Deck is heading east to visit two shops in Ohio for a special evening with their collectors.
On Tuesday, January 20, Upper Deck will visit All-Pro Sportscards in Cuyahoga Falls from 7:00 p.m.-8:00 p.m. and then on Wednesday, January 21, Upper Deck will visit TCI Sports Fan in Dayton from 7:00 p.m.-8:00 p.m. There will be complimentary refreshments and an incredible raffle based on Upper Deck purchases from that evening where fans can score Upper Deck apparel, sealed product, insert cards, items from the NHL® and a very limited-edition LeBron James signed poster! These will be evenings you won’t want to miss!
Here are all the details:
Silver Celebration Party at All-Pro Sportscards
Tuesday, January 20 from 7:00-8:00 p.m.
492 Graham Road
Cuyahoga Falls, OH 44221
Silver Celebration Party at TCI Sports Fan
Wednesday, January 21 from 7:00-8:00 p.m.
3962 Linden Avenue
Dayton, OH 45432
Don’t miss an event 25 years in the making!
This November Upper Deck released 2014-15 NHL® Upper Deck Series One which marked the 25th consecutive release of the product officially licensed by the NHL® and NHLPA. There is a variety of exciting content in the product including buyback cards from the original set, some of which are autographed!
Here at Upper Deck we believe it is important to get out and personally say, “THANK YOU” to the collectors and shops who have helped us enjoy so much success over the last 25 years. Therefore we will be hosting 25 parties during this season to do just that at hobby shops throughout the United States and Canada.
The first Silver Celebration party took take place in Ottawa, Ontario at Gambreakers Sports Cards on Saturday, December 27. We hosted a raffle based on new Upper Deck purchases for all sorts of goodies like apparel, memorabilia cards, autograph cards, signed pucks and the grand prize which is a 2014 NHLPA Rookie Showcase signed helmet from over 20 NHL® Draft Picks!
Upper Deck will hosted two other Silver Celebration parties in the Maryland area around the 2015 NHL® Winter Classic where we gave away a pair of tickets to the game! These were held on December 30, 2014 and fans who attended loved the giveaways Upper Deck provided these two shops!
Look for more Silver Celebration events in the future at locations throughout the United States and Canada!